Ayurveda - ‘The Science of life’Ayurveda is considered as ‘Science of life’. This probably makes it the earliest medical science having a positive concept of health to be achieved through a blending of physical, mental, social moral and spiritual welfare. Ayurveda originated in India long back in pre-vedic period. Rigveda and Atharva-veda ( 5000 years B.C.), the earliest documented ancient Indian knowledge have references on health and diseases. Ayurved texts like Charak Samhita and Sushruta Samhita were documented about 1000 years B.C. Ayurveda is an ancient life science, which originated in India and is practiced to attain complete health in the four pursuits of human life (Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha). Moksha (salvation) is considered to be the ultimate goal of a man. The word ‘Ayurveda’ is composed of the words ‘Ayu’ and ‘Veda’. Veda means authentic knowledge and Ayu means life which is formed of Shareera (Body), Indria (Sensory organs), Satwa (Manas) and Atma (Soul), synonymous with Dhaari – Jeevitham – Nityaga and Anubandha. Ayurveda is known as Upaveda in the Atharvaveda. For the welfare of humans, Brahma, the Creator, memorized the science of Ayurveda and taught it to Daksha Prajapathi, Ashwini Kumar and Indra. Then it was taught to the eminent sages, Bharadwaja, Dhanwanthari, Kashyapa, Nimi and a few others. And in this way the life science descended to Earth, was refined and established as Ashtangaayurveda.
The Major Eight branches of Ayurveda are as follows:
- Kaya Chikitsa – General Medicine.
- Bala Roga Chikitsa – Pediatrics.
- Graha Chikitsa – Treatment for evil spirits.
- Urdwanga tantra – E.N.T & Ophthalmology.
- Shalya Chikitsa – Surgery.
- Visha Chikitsa – Toxicology.
- Rasayana Chikitsa – Rejuvenation Therapy.
- Vajeekarana Chikitsa – Aphrodisiacs.
Tridosha’s In AyurvedaAyurvedic System of medicine is based on concepts such as Rasa, Guna, Virya, Vipaka & Karma developed by famous acharyas like Charaka, Susruta, Vagbhada etc. The treatments in Ayurveda is not removal of symptoms or removal of causes but it is the restoration of the natural state of Doshas, which is termed as ‘Prakritisthapana’ (restoration of equilibrium of ‘doshas’, ‘dhatus’ & ‘malas’ and ‘mental disposition’). An expert Ayurvedic doctor (vaidya) prescribes medicines not because of its curative property alone, but because of its efficacy in restoring the health by bringing the vitiated ‘Doshas’ to normal equipoise.
VataThis is the only dosha which can move by itself and make other doshas moving. It is considered as king among doshas. All the activities or movements like circulation, heart beating, elimination, binking of eyes etc. can be done because of Vata. Balancing and imbalancing of this dosha will be quicker while comparing with other doshas. It is seen that a person with vata prakriti have a dry and rough skin, will be lightly built, will be quick in their mental process and initiation of action.
PithaPitta manages all heat, metabolism and transformation in the mind and body. Digestion, metabolism & transformation in body etc. are done as a result of Pitta. It is seen that pitta prakriti individuals tend to sweat a lot and tend to have a higher than normal body temperature.
KabhaKabham consists of water and earth. Kabha is unctuous, smooth, soft, sweet in taste, stable, dense, slow, rigid, cold and clear. Kabham manages the immune system. It is seen that the Kabha prakriti individuals tend to have soft limbs, slow gait and are slow to understand. The cold quality means that their agni or digestive power is low.
Do's & Don't
- Sleep at regular times and preferably between 9:00 pm and 6:00 am.
- Use Umbrella while walking outside (both day and night) and minimize the exposure to extreme heat, cold water, sun and wind.
- Organic / vegetarian food will be served, as prescribed by the physician. Avoid overeating and eating before the previous meal has been digested, as well as avoid eating too quickly and swallowing without chewing. Strictly avoid from eating any food from outside. Guests are advised not to take any food or drinks other than the diet provided at resort. Otherwise it will adversely affect the treatments.