First showers of monsoon are energetically welcomed by everyone after experiencing the burning heat of summer. But monsoons reduce the immunity of our body and make us susceptible to many diseases which are commonly associated with this season. Rainy season invites lots of health disorders.
Cold and flu are common illness that is found in rainy season and this is usually due to fluctuation in the temperature. The first immediate step that you can do is washing your hands every now and completely avoid outside food.
Common Illness caused During Rainy Season:
Precautions during Rainy Season:
- Food infection
- Water infection
Ayurvedic regimen during monsoon:
- Increasing the intake of Vitamin C either in natural form or as food supplement will help you drive away the cold virus faster. Vitamin C will activate your antibodies and reduce the severity of cold.
- Do not enter air conditioned room with wet hair and damp cloths.
- Shower after Being Caught in Rain as this will protect you from many infections.
- Increase intake of hot drinks like a cup of hot milk, ginger tea, vegetable soup etc.
- Cleanliness is very important during rainy season; you should clean your hands regularly and use a sanitizer always after that.
- Drink Plenty of Water as this will help you drain toxins from your body.
- Wash vegetables with clean water and steam them well to kill germs.
Rainy season leads to low digestive power, so following diets which strengthen the digestive system would be beneficial in rainy season.
- Light foods prepared out of old barley, rice and wheat
- Sour and salted soups of vegetables.
- Consuming little quantity of wine prepared out of grapes.
- Adding ginger and green gram in daily diet.
- Drink a glass of warm water mixed with a tea spoon of honey in empty stomach. This flushes out accumulated toxins.
- Freshly prepared radish juice is the best remedy for cold.
- A pinch each of long pepper powder and rock salt mixed in warm water reduces cough
- Cook rice with recommended quantity of water with crushed ginger and salt. Powder long pepper and fry it in a spoon of cow’s ghee and add it to gruel. Consume this when it hot. This is very light to digest and relieves colic pain.
- In case of Diahorrea cook rice with recommended quantity of water with ginger paste and salt. Add pomegranate juice when the gruel is warm. This gruel rehydrates body and supply energy. This soothes inflamed walls of intestine and controls bowel movements.
- In flatulence cook rice, haritaki powder, roots of pippali and water together. Add salt to it.Consume it warmly. This relieves flatulence and regularizes the bowel movement.
Thus precautions coupled with care really help you to enjoy monsoon. Have a healthy and safe monsoon.