Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a variety of Arthritis, which is an auto-immune, chronic inflammatory condition of the Joints affecting the synovial membrane, and over a period of time, leading to the destruction of the cartilage and bone and finally leading to dysfunction. Rheumatoid Arthritis is derived from a Greek word, denoting watery and inflamed Joint.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Joint Pain, swelling, stiffness, warmth & redness.
- Multiple joints are usually affected at the same time and so it is called a Polyarthritis.
- Early morning stiffness lasting over an hour is one of the typical symptoms of RA
- Low blood count is often an accompanying problem.
- It is sometimes associated with symptoms like fever, fatigue, malaise, loss of appetite and loss of weight.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- The ayurvedic approach is holistic comprising of diet modifications, lifestyle changes, stress management, herbal medication and Ayurvedic therapies, Yoga asanas, pranayama and meditation.
- Panchakarma is one of the most important aspects of Ayurvedic treatment and is very important in the management of chronic auto-immune diseases like RA. It is performed by a sequence of therapies leading up to detoxification therapies like Vamana (Emesis), Virechana ( Purgation), Vasthi (Enema) and Nasyam (Nasal Administration).
- Dhanymla dhara (Pouring of a warm fermented liquid), Podikkizhi ( Herbal powder massage) Ilakkizhi (Massage with bolus of fresh herbal leaves) are also done based on the disease condition.
- Therapies like Tailadhara (Pouring medicated oils on the body), Nhavarakkizhi ( Massage with Bolus of rice boiled in medicated milk) and Ksheeravasthi (Medicated milk based enema) and administration of certain herbal preparations that protect the tissues (Rasayanas) is advised thereafter. They help to strengthen the tissues and improve mobility, flexibility and to improve functional capability.
- Periodic administration of Ksheeravasthi with a short course of preparatory therapies is seen to prevent further damage to the joints.
YOGA / PRANAYAMA IN RHUMATOID ARTHRITIS