Paralysis is one of the most common disabilities following a stroke. The paralysis is usually on the side of the body opposite the side of the brain damaged by stroke. The types and degrees of disability following a stroke depend upon the area of the brain damaged and the extent of damage.
Generally stroke can cause following disabilities :
- Paralysis or problem controlling movement
- Sensory disturbances including pain
- Problem in using or understanding language
- Emotional disturbances
Altered thinking / memory
Considering the stage of the paralysis, for how long the patient has had this condition as well as their strength, an optimized treatment plan is formulated with specific internal medications mild treatments like Abhyanga (Application of medicated oil on the body), or Kaya Seka (pouring of warm medicated oil on the body).
patient who has had paralysis due to a stroke for longer than one year requires more extensive treatment. This is because half of the body has been inactive for so long that the muscles start to waste away (no longer have strength to function). Hence the treatment plan usually has five stages
1. Medication to prepare the body for internal as well as external Snehana (Oleation)
2. Snehana internally with some medicated oils or ghee + external oleation. (For 3 – 7 days)
3. Swedana (Fomentation – causing sweating) with steam bath etc.
4. Virechana (Purgation) with a medicinal powder or castor oil.
5. Medication to regain strength of muscles as well as overall immunity
Comprehensive Stroke Rehabilitation Program
Comprehensive Stroke Rehabilitation Program is a sub-acute and chronic rehabilitation program for stroke sufferers. It is built on classical Ayurveda treatments that address the aetio-pathogenesis of the CVA (cerebrovascular accident), or stroke, the attendant risk factors and manifestations.