Karkidakam is the last month of the Malayalam calendar (followed in Kerala), which falls during the month of July or August. With the coming of Karkidakam the monsoon rainfall enters its final phase in Kerala. Traditionally in Kerala, this period of the year is considered most ideal for undergoing Ayurveda based body rejuvenation therapies.
Ayurveda, a holistic system that rejuvenates not only the body but also the mind and soul, recommends Rithu Charya. It is the specific observance of diet and lifestyle suitable for each season to defend the body from the lashes of changing seasons. By following a strict routine, we can cancel the effect of the sudden transition from the scorching summer to the cool monsoons.
- Recital or listening to spiritual scriptures and empowering discourses.
- Special healing diet [oushada kanji] to enhance immunity. Karkkidaka kanji consists of boiled cereals and medicinal plants. Along with njavara rice, 12 to 24 types of medicinal herbs are used in preparing the gruel.
- Karkidaka chikitsa to alleviate existing health conditions and to prevent illnesses.
- Satsanga – Social gatherings for spiritual dialogues to keep everyone close and in a positive frame of mind to support mutually if a need arise to one of the members of society.
- Avoid non-vegetarian foods, fried foods, alcohol and smoking
- Yoga and Pranayama
- Drink atleast 2litres of luke warm water daily
What are the goals of Karkidaka chikitsa
- Detoxification – Over days and months we ingest toxins and pollutants that accumulate in your system. These toxins accumulate in your body and when it reaches a certain level it gives rise to symptoms like allergies, body pains, swellings, depression and even auto immune disorders. The Karkidaka Chikitsa attempts to mobilize the toxins in your body and eliminate them through channels of cleansing.
- Boost to Immune system – The Oushada kanji which is prepared with herbs proven to enhance and strengthen the immune system .
- Rejuvenation – The massage therapies will improve circulation and increase oxygen and nutrient level in the tissues to rejuvenate and refresh the body.
- Alleviation of current health concerns
When to start?
In 2016, Karkidakam begins on 16th of July and extends till 16th of August. However due to global warming, climate changes are steadily moving to extremes. Since last few decades the rains start as early as June and intensify by July. Adapting to the changing times, taking the fundamental goals into consideration, ELEPHANT PASS AYURVEDA & YOGA RETREAT starts monsoon treatment program from last week of June through July and August.
What our clients says
I was looking for a break from my busy life and I found this beautiful place situated deep in the jungle, sandwiched between an elephant taming center and river Periyar. A place of tranquility and serenity, you can forget the rest of the world in its ambiance. My family enjoyed the stay there, excellent food and service, also the Ayurveda massage is a good chance to get rejuvenated. looking forward to go there in October.
If you want to go somewhere that is extremely beautiful with a huge amount of peace and tranquility thrown in then go here.My daughter and i were looking for a yoga retreat with treatments and I found the Elephant Pass. Situated by the river in amongst the trees you could not ask for a better place to go to totally unwind. The treatments are amazing and when finished you can relax and just listen to the birdsong and watch the river, it reall is heaven.
If you want something relaxing with excellent food and locally run (and not too far from the airport), this is a good find. The ayerveda treatments were great for me. It’s not a five star hotel so know you have to like the local feel and maybe go see some elephants at the sanctuary near by. Great escape for a few days and lovely hospitality!
In the month of September first week my family and me stayed in Elephant pass Ayurveda& Yoga Retreat Kodanad/Kochi for a week period. The experience which we gained was very fantastic. The location in front of the retreat was amazing and mesmerizing. The salient feature of river Periyar is wonderful, the treatment and care which was given by the team in total was praiseable…The vacation truly enjoyed with my family. I will definitely will visit this location again with my family.
All the words synonymous with calm originate from this place. When u reach this place u will be greeted by an amazing view of the lake. Rooms are nice and spacious. The manager and the staff are just so up to the mark attending to your every small call. The staff out there, Vinish, Bobby, Arun will make u feel so much relaxed. Normally people come here for some treatment. However since we were there for just relaxation, these guys customised massages for us after a very brief meeting with the local doctor Dr. Mathew. U will feel so rejuvenated after every massage session. Do not miss this place if u r in the kadanad area.
My family and I stayed for five nights, and it was Avery enjoyable and relaxing experience. The resort is on the Periyar river bank next to forest in a calm and serene environment. The massage treatments were good. The yoga instructor (Sheba) was a very pleasant lady that did a good job on introducing us to yoga. The outstanding staff are the real stars of this resort. Jijo, Bobby, Arun and the rest made sure that all our needs were met. This includes arranging trips to the tourist spots and the preparation and serving of tasty home cooked meals. I will definitely recommend this resort to anyone who wants a rejuvenating break. I certainly plan to return soon
Relaxing and peaceful location right on the river. Excellent vegetarian food that is all sourced locally. Clean and nice sized rooms. Friendly, helpful and accommodating staff. Amazing treatments and yoga. What more can one ask for? I will definitely be back.
A little pocket of paradise..
If you are searching for a place to experience the unbelievable therapies of Ayurvedic treatments and some authentic yoga retreat time the elephant pass Ayurvedic and yoga retreat centre Just outside Kochi on the backwater rivers is certainly a place to consider.
Set in peaceful, tranquil surroundings you can certainly take a step back from the rest of the world and recollect your soul, mind and physical being here.