Diabetes is known as Diabetes Mellitus, is a serious metabolic disorder where body is not in a position to make proper use of Glucose by which the condition of hyperglycemia or known as high blood sugar. Excess quantity of glucose in the blood causes a high level of glucose shows the presence in urine. The result by which shows urine output will be more and by which dehydration and thirst increases
Glucose being produced in our body from the intake of food we eat and also made in liver and muscles. Glucose is being carried by blood to all shells in our body. Pancreas produces a hormone called INSULIN. The duty of Insulin is the uptake of Glucose into cells for energy. If the insulin level is decreased affects this mechanism leading the increase of Glucose in the blood stream.
The reasoning of diabetes are excessive intake of foods which are difficult to digest such as fried foods, Junk foods, ice creams etc…The lack of exercise in day today life or keeping away from hard work, mental stress and strain, Excessive sleep, over intake of food and obesity, Excessive intake of sugar, refined carbohydrates, Over loading of proteins, fats and hereditary factors are also the root cause of diabetes.
Weight loss or weight gain
Frequent urinary tract infections
Frequent urination in large quantity
In Ayurveda, Diabetes is known as Madhumeha (Madhu means ‘honey’ and Meha means ‘urine’). This Medhumeha in Ayurveda is categorized as Vataj Meha (a problem caused by aggravation of Vata or Air). Deterioration of body is a characteristic which indicates in pairment of vata. Maximum Deterioration of dhatus (body tissues) ooccurs in these type of disease and this is the reason why all vital organs are affected by diabetes. Madhumeha is impaired digestion leads to accumulation of specific digestive impurities which accumulate in the pancreas cells and impair the production of insulin.
Ayurveda does not regard as a disease that can be treated by mere medicine or by a dietary regimen. Madhumeha is classified as a maharog( Major disease).Because if not treated in time it can lead to several complications in the body. Which includes eye problems, joint pain, Impotancy, kidney failure, sexual and urological problems. Madhu meha is a disorder and it cannot be treated merely by controlling sugar levels. The treatment recommended in Ayurveda as against modern medicine- is aimed at rejuvenating body to not only balance sugar levels but also ensuring no further complication is caused.
The Ayurvedic treatment for this Madhumeha is based on an entire change in the life style of a person affected with diabetes or madhumeha. Along with medication and diet, the patient is also advised to lead a healthy lifestyle and live an active life. Dietary and lifestyle changes rejuvenate the body cells and tissues to produce insulin properly even the mental aspects of disease are stressed up on in Ayurveda. The medicines that are administered are therefore meant to keep the brain in its right manner of functioning.
DIET & LIFESTYLE ADVICE
- Include whole grains in the diet, such as wheat bread/pasta and brown rice.
- Cheese and yogurt prepared with skimmed (nonfat) milk may be taken.
- Use garlic, onion, bitter gourd, spinach, raw banana, and black plum.
- Make a flour mixture of 1 part barley, 1 part black chickpeas, and 4 parts whole-wheat flour and use this to form pancakes and bread.
- Avoid sweet, sour, and salty foods, potatoes, sweet potatoes, colocasia (taro), yams, fresh grains and pulses (legumes), whole yogurt (high in fat), and heavy, oily and spicy foods.
- Avoid sweet fruits like pineapple, grapes, mangoes, etc.
- Start doing some light exercise, such as brisk walking. Build up to a brisk walk of 30-40 minutes in the morning and again in the evening.
- Avoid sleeping in the daytime as it increases Kledaka Kapha.
- Home Remedies
- Dry the leaves of mango tree and grind to a powder. Mix 1 teaspoon dry powder in a glass of water and drink it daily to reduce high blood sugar levels.
- Take 2 teaspoons of bitter gourd (karela) juice once a day. One can also increase its use as a cooked vegetable.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry (amla) juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of bitter gourd juice twice a day.
Ayurveda is not only pointing towards taking medicines alone and gives more directions in changing lifestyle which gives body rejuvenation. Which keeps the person away from stress and strain. That’s why now a days people are choosing ayurveda treatments for the reason affected by diabetes.
In India especially in Kerala a lot of Ayurveda Treatment centeres are there. Elephant pass Ayurveda & yoga Retreat is one of the best Ayurveda treatment centeres in Kerala.