AYURVEDA & WEIGHT LOSS
Obesity can be defined as excessive enlargement of body’s total quantity of fat.The weight charts for men and women according to their
height (BMI) are only rough indications of the state of overweight or obesity. It is the most common nutritional disorder in affluent societies. Luxurious, inactive and sedentary life style of today made a great increase in the number of obese. The location of adipose tissue in the body should also be considered, fat distributed in the abdominal region poses a greater health risk compared to fat deposited at the thigh and buttocks.
HAZARDS OF OBESITY
- National Institute of Health, USA has issued an alert tagging obesity a “Killing disease”.
- Commonly 60 to 70 percent Cardiac patients die of Obesity.
- Overweight also contributes to the development of diabetes, hypertension, kidney and gallbladder disorders.
- Obesity has been implicated in increased incidence of some types of cancer like cancer of colon, pancreas, breast, uterus, kidney and gallbladder.
- Overweight persons suffer from Osteoarthritis which acts as an Obstacle for your mobility.
- More chances for menstrual irregularities.
AYURVEDA’S APPROACH TO OBESITY
In Ayurvedic text, ‘Charakacharya’ has described eight ‘nindya prakruties’ (undesirable constitution) according to the body constitution. Among them he has also mentioned obesity. Obesity is described as ‘Medoroga’ in Ayurveda. It is said that it is comparatively easy to help an underweight person, rather than an overweight person.
Prevention is better than cure. You must take precautions rather following treatment after increase in weight. Once you are obese it is difficult to treat yourself.
- Avoid excess eating, or eating before the previous meal is digested.
- Avoid day sleeping; sleep in the night after one hour of your dinner.
- Do regular exerciselike brisk walking (at least), running, swimming etc
- Avoid eating excess sweets. Have low fat /skim dairy products. Avoid product like chocolates, ice creams, cheese, paneer, sugar etc.
- Take non-vegetarian food like chicken, fishes, eggs, meats etc. in moderate quantity. Remove fat from meat & skin from chicken.
- Try to minimize excess oil & ghee in cooking.
- Avoid aerated drinks and excess water after meal.
Medicinal Treatment/Ayurveda Treatment
Herbal supplements can be of great benefit in weight control without the negative side effects of conventional drugs. With the diet therapy alone, the treatment of obesity is incomplete. Diet can avoid the further possibilities of obesity, but the fat has to be treated and the defective metabolism must be corrected, which is done by Ayurvedic medicines/Ayurvedic treatments.These medicines improve fat metabolism in an obese individual. Once a person’s metabolism is correct it is easy for him to maintain his weight.
- Use of guduchi, devadaru, musta, triphala, takrarishta (a fermented preparation of butter milk) and honey is recommended.
- Powder of yava and amalaka is an excellent formulation for the same.
- Shilajita along with the juice of Agnimatha works well.
- Take honey water early in the morning.
- Mint is very beneficial in losing weight. Chutney of green mint with some simple spices can be taken with meals. Mint tea also helps.
- Spices like dry ginger, cinnamon, black pepper etc. are good for losing weight and can be used in a number of ways.
- Regular intake of carrot juice.
- Avoid rice and potato, which contain a lot of carbohydrates. Among cereals wheat is good.
- Vegetables like bitter gourd drumstick are useful in losing weight.
- Honey is an excellent home remedy for obesity. It mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body allowing it to be utilized as energy for normal functions.
- Fasting on honey and lime- juice is highly beneficial in the treatment of obesity without the loss of energy and appetite. For this, mix one teaspoon of fresh honey with the juice of half a lime in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Raw or cooked cabbage inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat. Hence, it is of great value in weight reduction.
DIET RECOMMENDED TO LOSE WEIGHT
- Early morning
Juice of half a lemon mixed in a glass of warm water and a teaspoon of honey.
Wheat or Mung bean sprouts and a cup of skimmed milk.
A glass of orange, pineapple or carrot juice.
Salad of raw vegetables such as carrot, beet, cucumber, cabbage, tomatoes. Steamed or boiled vegetables Whole grain bread or whole wheat chapatis and a glass of buttermilk. Roasted cumin seeds, green coriander leaves, a little salt and some grated ginger mixed in the buttermilk.
Coconut water, Dry fruits, Lemon tea, Fresh vegetable soup
Whole grain bread or chapatis, Steamed vegetables, Seasonal fruits except banana and apple.
The problem obesity, best solution is routine exercises, Yoga and Ayurveda Treatments. Which being done at Elephant pass Ayurveda & YogaRetreat which is the one of the best Ayurvedic treatment center in Kochi near Famous river Periyar.